101 FREE tools to learn any foreign language
The people at Online College have written an interesting article on 101 tools that can help you learn a new language. At Euroasia we believe that these tools are best supplemented by classroom time with a teacher. Nevertheless these are good resources for language learners.
With these tools, you’ll find translation and dictionaries.
- Xanadu: Get a free all-in-one translation wizard on your PC with Xanadu.
- Google Language Tools: Search across languages, translate text, and more using Google’s tools.
- Freelang: Check out Freelang for free dictionaries, human translation, fonts, and more.
- Rikai: On this page, you can enter the URL you want to go to and see translations as you move your mouse over the text.
- Free Online Dictionaries: Make use of these dictionaries to learn more about different languages.
- DictSearch: Access 265 online dictionaries using this one simple interface.
- Yahoo! Babel Fish: Yahoo!’s Babel Fish will translate text or a web page for you.
FREE Introductory Courses
- French I: Follow this course for an introduction to the French language and culture.
- American Sign Language: Here you’ll find lesson plans, information on deaf culture, and vocabulary.
- Learn to Speak Dutch: You’ll get access to language lessons, vocabulary, and more here.
- German I: Acquire an understanding of German through active communication.
- BBC Greek: The BBC’s Greek resource offers a quick fix for learning the language.
- Beginning Japanese I: Use this course’s interactive study materials to learn beginner Japanese.
- Introduction to Portuguese: Use this course to get started learning the Portuguese language.
- Learn to Speak Korean: These video courses offer a convenient way to learn Korean.
- Intermediate Japanese: Improve your fluency and learn Kanji characters in this course.
- BBC Portuguese: BBC’s Portuguese course offers an introduction to the language in 10 short parts.
- Farsi: Follow this beginner’s course to get an introduction to vocabulary, sentences, and basic phrases in Farsi.
- Advanced Japanese I: With the help of this course, you’ll become an expert in Japanese.
- Learn to Speak Russian: You can improve your Russian vocabulary and grammar using these courses.
- Kenyan Sign Language: You can learn about Kenyan Sign Language using this illustrated course.
- BBC Chinese: Get a taste for the Chinese language with BBC’s slideshows, quizzes, and more.
- Introduction to European and Latin American Fiction: Learn about the language and culture of Europe and Latin America through this literature course.
- Spanish I: Watch this course’s videos to learn authentic Spanish and all about its cultural diversity.
- First Year Chinese: You’ll get an understanding of the basic Chinese speaking and writing principles from this course.
- BBC Italian: Improve your Italian skills using these resources from the BBC.
- Oral Communication in Spanish: Get an understanding of Hispanic culture with the help of this course.
- Learn to Speak Portuguese: Use these audio lessons to learn Brazilian Portuguese.
- Communicating Across Cultures: With the help of this course, you’ll learn how to converse with people outside of your culture.
- BBC German: Learn grammar, vocabulary, and more in this German Quick Fix.
- Spanish Conversation and Composition: Improve your speaking and writing in Spanish with the help of this course.
- Learning German: Find four courses in the German language here.
- Learn to Speak Japanese: Take these Japanese lessons, and you’ll improve your vocabulary and pronunciation.
- Chinese I (Regular): MIT offers a full series of Chinese language learning.
- Spanish for Bilingual Students: Students who are bilingual in Spanish and English can improve their Spanish skills with this course.
- Learning the basics of French: This beginning course offers a look at verb tenses, grammatical structures, and simple vocabulary.
- BBC French: You can find resources for French learners from beginners to intermediates here.
- English grammar in context: Learn about speech and writing in English using this course.
- The Linguistic Study of Bilingualism: This course will help you better understand bilingualism.
- Chinese I (Streamlined): This collection of Chinese courses is designed for students who grew up in a Chinese speaking environment.
- BBC Spanish: Get access to Spanish TV, radio, and other resources here.
Language Learning Communities
Through these communities, you’ll be able to meet other people learning a new language and find partners to practice with.
- Livemocha: Connect with language partners around the world for social language learning.
- My Language Exchange: Make friends and learn a new language on My Language Exchange.
- Skype Community: On this board, you can connect with others that want to learn your language, and share theirs.
- LingoPass: In this language learning bartering system, you’ll teach and learn new languages.
- Palabea: Palabea canada viagra is a social networking site for communicating in foreign languages.
- UniLang: You can learn languages with these free language resources, as well as learn, discuss, and practice languages in this community.
- italki: Use this add-on for Skype to find other users to learn languages with.
Follow these podcasts, and you’ll find regular entries that will have you speaking a new language in no time.
- English as a Second Language Podcast: Check out this podcast for more than 100 ESL lessons.
- Chinese Learn Online: Chinese Learn Online offers an introduction to Mandarin Chinese.
- French for Beginners: Get started with these lessons for French beginners.
- Learn Japanese Symbols: With this podcast, you’ll learn how to use Japanese symbols.
- Arabic Language Lessons: Through this service of the US Peace Corps, you’ll find lessons that teach you the Arabic language.
- Bulgarian Survival Phrases: With the help of this podcast, you’ll learn enough Bulgarian to get around.
- Latinum: Latinum offers language learning in podcast form from London.
- English for Spanish Speakers: Check out this podcast to learn English from Spanish.
- Le Journal en francais facile: Hear nightly news slowed down for comprehension.
- Maori: You can learn the language of New Zealand’s indigenous people with this video podcast site.
- Chinese Lessons with Serge Melnyk: With Serge Melnyk, you’ll get weekly lessons in Mandarin.
- Esperanto: Use these lessons to become familiar with Esperanto.
- Ta Falado: You’ll find Brazilian Portuguese pronunciation for Spanish speakers in this podcast.
- Hebrew Vocab Pronunciations: Find out how to pronounce words in Hebrew using this podcast.
- GermanPod 101: Find materials for German learners from beginners to advanced in this podcast.
- Learn Romanian: This podcast offers survival phrases for Romania.
- ArabicPod: Here you’ll get access to mp3 podcasts as well as transcripts of learning Arabic.
- I Speak Hindi: With this podcast, you’ll learn essential words and phrases for Indian travel.
- A Taste of Russian: Find real, every day life chats to learn with this podcast.
- Dar to Danish: Learn dirty Danish words and other daring parts of the Danish language with this podcast.
- Special Finnish: This podcast slows down the language to make understanding easier.
- Learn Hindi from Bollywood Movies: You’ll have fun learning Hindi with this podcast.
- Russian Literature: This literature podcast can help you improve your comprehension and vocabulary with Russian classics.
- German Grammar: These German grammar podcasts are designed for American students.
- One Minute Catalan: Get quick learning for Catalan using this resource.
- Let’s Speak Italian: Break Italian down into manageable 5 minute podcasts here.
- Cody’s Cuentos: Learn Spanish by listening to these classic fairy tales and legends.
- Survival Phrases Arabic: With this podcast, you’ll learn the essentials of getting around in Arabic.
- Laura Speaks Dutch: Prepare for travel to Holland with the help of Laura’s podcast.
- Insta Spanish Lessons: Students of all levels will enjoy this Spanish grammar podcast.
- Easy French Poetry Podcast: This podcast uses poetry as a topic for French language learning discussion.
- Japancast: You’ll learn from anime and everyday conversation using this podcast.
- LoMasTv: LoMasTv offers language immersion for Spanish.
- Yabla French: With Yabla French, you’ll get captioned videos, integrated dictionaries,
Here, you’ll find tools made just for language learning.
- Mango: Use Mango’s online language learning system, and you’ll build your conversation skills in any language.
- Babbel: Learn a language with the help of flash cards on Babbel.
- Lingro: On this useful site, you’ll find study tools, online translation, games, vocabulary lists, and much more.
- Tibetan Language Tools: Here you’ll find resources for the basic alphabet, vowels, and more in Tibetan.
- Busuu: Get writing and speaking practice with the help of Busuu.
- Byki: You can download language learning software, follow lessons online, and more, even on your iPhone.
Use these online textbooks in your foreign language studies.
- German: Make use of this Wikibook to learn German, or take the bite-sized German course.
- Belorusian: Learn the Belarusian alphabet and beyond in this textbook.
- Afrikaans: Check out this Wikibook to find pronunciation, lessons, and much more for Afrikaans.
- Scottish Gaelic: Find pronunciation, sentence structure, and grammar from this book.
- Polish: With the help of this Wikibook, you’ll be able to learn the basics of the Polish language.
- Irish: Learn the old language of Irish Gaelic using this Wikibook.
- Arabic: This Arabic workbook shares the Romanization system, alphabet, definite articles, and beyond.
- Portugese: Choose between European and Brazilian Portuguese on this Wikibook.
- Yiddish: This book covers Yiddish for Yeshiva Bachurium as well as conversational Yiddish.
- French: Check out this excellent French Wikibook for French language learning.
- Russian: This Wikibook presents Russian for English speakers.
- Albanian: Learn about the unified version of Albanian here.
- Textkit: You’ll find books, readers, and more for Greek and Latin learning on Textkit.